Interview with the superstar Radioman on Artiste of the week



Though his name might not ring a bell, Elochukwu Ekwugha otherwise known as Radioman Africa has been in the country’s music industry working underground. Right from his days at the Boy Secondary School, Ogidi, Anambra State, up to the point when he
enrolled at the Federal Polytechnic Oko to study banking and Finance, music has always been his passion. Little wonder he invented the Afritune style of music, with which he intends to launch into the mainstream of the music industry.
“My life is music and I’m not into music because of the money; I’m called to do music. In fact, music is my spiritual gift,” he said.
Radioman’s love for music led him to join his church choir, where he eventually honed his music skills, before venturing into studio recording. However, wherever there’s live music, Radioman is there.
“I’m in love with music because I always find myself close to live bands at events. Really, I never wished to do music professionally, until I got a message from a prophetess, who told me to focus on music. Like she puts it, ‘that’s where your destiny lies,” he recalled.
With that prophesy, Radioman began to pay special attention to his music career, taking advantage of any opportunity to develop his skills.

“I joined a music group then and we used to play almost every weekend; that was where I mastered the craft. At a point, I became the lead vocalist. From there, I summoned courage to pen down songs. In 2013, I hit the studio for my first studio recording as a solo artiste in Onitsha.”

His first day in a recording studio was a great experience for the music talent, who is determined to carve a niche for himself in the industry.
“I was amazed the first day I had a studio session; learning, corrections and challenges. I remember I booked a night session and when it was time to start, I decided to familiarize with the producer, who was a student of Fedral Polytechnic Oko. I made him to understand am new and that he should be patient with me. At the end, it was an interesting experience.”
Having spent a couple of years working on his materials, the Ogbunike native is set to make impact.
“I have made pretty progress in music making; I’ve recorded twelve singles down. Out of the 12, I had sic collaborations with other artistes. These songs have taken me to all the campuses and major event centers in Anambra where I performed live. Some of my songs are currently on air,” he said.
Out of all his productions, Radioman considers No Be My Fault his best effort so far.
“That’s my best based on public opinion; it was produced by Bokomix. I gave out four of my latest tracks to good music lovers, DJs and bloggers and after all criticisms, they voted for No Be My Fault, a highlife track with inspiring message. It’s a song you can easily learn to sing,” he said.
For now, topmost in his agenda is to release his debut album, which is expected to hit music shelf soon.
“For now, I want to embark on massive promotion, which involves making of two or three videos. I have started negotiation with some partners and very soon, we will drop the videos.”
On his style of music, Radioman said, “I play what I call Afritune, which I invented. But general, it falls into Afro-pop. However, there’s an element of highlife in my music because I use a lot of local instruments.”
On hos he arrived at his stage name, Radioman explained that, “the name was given to me by my colleagues, who tried their best to stop me from carrying my small Kashibo radio wherever I go. But I added ‘Africa’ to it make it more appealing,” he enthused.
Ahead of his official debut, Radioman is planning a special concert, which holds in November.
“We are working on it; details will come soon, but we’ve titled it The Emergence of Afritune. I’ve featured artistes such as Xris Fity, Mr Mighty, Wonder, Wizlad, Donkid, and rappers Tupoint and Partial Bell; most of them will be there live,” he said.

Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »